Today our culinary journey moves in Tuscan where this dish comes. The so-called “nudi” as in Italy say to indicate something naked, bare, these “kind of ravioli” in fact does not have the sheet that covers them, but they are made of just stuffing, therefore without being surrounded by the fresh pasta.
This recipe is part of the rural tradition handed down over the years from family to family. It’s rare to find them for sale because of the freshness of the ingredients they are difficult to maintain…you can then enjoy them or in some local restaurants or by following this recipe adapted with ingredients typical of my city Naples.
For 6 portions, suitable also for vegetarian!!!
Ingredients for dough and naked Gnocchi:
- 300g – Organic white flour 00
- 300g – good quality Ricotta cheese
- 30g – grated Pecorino cheese
- 30g – grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- abundant basil
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 700ml – tomato puree
- 10/12 – Basil leaves
- 1 – garlic clove
- 1/2 – onion
- 2 – spoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbs salt or according to taste
- 1 – glass of water
Ingredients for the final dish:
- baking pan
- 50 g – grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 125 g – Mozzarella
- 8/10 – Basil leaves
🙂 First of all WASH YOUR HANDS THOROUGHLY BEFORE and AFTER HANDLING FOOD 🙂
- put the flour in a big bowl
- add the ricotta cheese
- add the grated Parmigiano and the Romano cheese
- add the basil, chopped by hand
- mix well using your hands until you get a smooth dough. If the dough is too soft and wet, add more flour little by little
- when the dough doesn’t stick anymore neither to the surface nor to your fingers, but it is still soft, it means that the dough is ready and you made a good job!
- divide the dough in small balls (10 to 12)
- roll each ball to form ropes of 1cm thick
- cut the ropes of dough in pieces of 1cm long.
- and then form little balls as the size of pearls
To make the sauce:
- Put the extra virgin olive oil in a pot at medium-high flame
- add the peeled and chopped onion and the peeled garlic, sauté for few minutes, stirring occasionally
- add the tomato puree
- add a glass of water
- add half part of the Basil
- – don’t cover it! – Cook for 30 minutes on a low flame
- when ready, remove the garlic and add the other part of Basil
To cook the naked Gnocchi:
- take a large pot and fill it with water.
- put the pot on the fire – high flame –
- add a handful of salt into the water
- when the water is boiling, put the gnocchi in – not all together but a handful of gnocchi at a time –
- as soon as the gnocchi start floating, they are ready (usually 1 or 2 minutes)
- remove them with a slotted spoon
- put them in a pan, add the tomato sauce, add the chopped mozzarella and a large part of the Parmigiano Reggiano and mix gently
To make the final dish:
- turn on the oven at 200°C to pre-heat it
- in the baking pan put a couple of spoons of tomato sauce to the bottom
- put the gnocchi in it
- top with the mozzarella slices and the remaining grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- put the baking pan in the oven for 15 min. or until the cheese melts and becomes golden and crispy
- decorate with the leaves of basil and serve hot
- remember to switch off the oven!!!
BUON APPETITO – Enjoy